Wednesday, April 8, 2009

twenty-two

It is always weird to see yourself through other people's eyes.
The last two months I have tried to look at my life like that. How do my friends see me? How does my family see me? How do the people I go to church with see me?
I have been looking hard at my life trying to figure out if it is possible to make everyone else happy and still remain myself along the way...
I am learning that that can't happen most of the time. My friends say they love me without reservation and without hesitation. My church says they love me because of what I can be with them. And my family says they love me despite of what I am.
But I know that there is one that loves me not because or despite of what I am or because of what I can offer him. He sees me just as I am. Flaws and all. He understands my ways and knows my words. He hears my thoughts and still sticks around. He is the only one who has died for me and the only one I live for.
I know there are people out there who question my faith in the creator and some even question his ability to love me back, but let me just say this...
We may disagree on whether God can bless a GLBT person or a same-sex couple but never once have we disagreed on salvation. Mine is found in Christ. I am not ashamed of that and I know he is not ashamed of me.
It is when I am alone with him that I feel the most at peace with myself.
I know many people out there would like me to stop talking, sit down and keep my opinions to myself. A lot of people think it is bad enough I vote, so why would they want to hear about why I vote the way I do. That is completely understandable. I can see why you would feel so uncomfortable around me and my friends. I can understand why our relationships make you cringe.
I am not trying to change your mind. I have said it before and I will say it again...

I don't want to change minds; I want to open them.

All I ask is that you see that my love for Christ is genuine. Faith is a journey. I am on mine, and I wish you the best of luck on yours.
Peace of Christ with you and your prayers. May you seek to bless people instead of cursing them even when you don't understand where they are coming from.

Yours freely,
Tennessee James

1 comment:

fadedangel said...

Darlin,
You will never be able to please everyone.Its impossibe I have tried,and I ended up married three times.God knows I love my kids but I had no business being married to men.People will use the Bible to sling their hate and tell you your going to hell,if only they would read the scripture about judging others.Only when you live your life for yourself will you be truly happy.I love you girl,for who you are.