Friday, July 17, 2009

twenty-five.

I just finished an entire training session on racism.  It hit close to home finally when we started talking about how racism influences every aspect of our lives. 
When they started talking about how we see women and LGBTQ people through racial lines, it made me want to cry.  But, the one that sent me over the edge was when we talked about HIV+ people. 
For some reason that one struck me as the most offensive.  Above the comments about women, feminists, over-weight people, etc., that one made me the most emotional.
Even after all this time, when people start talking about HIV/AIDS patients my emotions run wild.  I am so attached to that community it makes me hurt to think that anyone could discriminate health care, or housing, or support in any way for these people based on their race or social status.
I guess at some point we all have to make a conscience decision to be aware of these obstacles.  Now is the time that I admit that these issues plague my life.  I wish they didn’t, but they do.  It is up to me to change them.

Yours freely,
Tennessee James
tennjames06@yahoo.com

No comments: