Sunday, January 11, 2009

eighteen.

I just wanted to take a second and kind of clarify why we are so upset about the eSPIN activities.

My friend and I have gone to a conservative christian school for a few years now and we have finally decided that we can not sit back while demeaning comments and sideways remarks are made about our friends and family.

What eSPIN has done is not the most egregious of acts, but what they have done is told the numerous young people who visit their site daily that it is ok to make jokes about the GLBTQA community. It reinforces the self hatred that most of us grow up feeling from our families and peer groups.

All we are looking for is an apology to our friend and the removal of such an offensive remark about our founding fathers.

The reason we are standing up now for what seems like a small deal is because we can no longer sit down. We have been patient, kind and compassionate. We have sat back and listened and taken many notes about what they think of us. Now is the time to speak up. They have made it quite clear in their newsletters, websites, pamphlets and sermons exactly what they think of me and my friends. Now, I am just going to stand up and start to let them know what it is I think about their understanding of my life.

I am a nonviolent activist, but I am an activist. I will continue on in the name of peace and love for everyone, but I will not be walked on anymore. It is time for us as Christians to represent what it is that we understand Christ meant. He has changed my life and I want to share with others how he can change theirs.

Yours freely,
Tennessee James

No comments: